An Inspiring, Historical Account of the Maccabees

Judah’s Wife
I'm on a kick for Biblical fiction lately. There's something about reading a Biblically-applicable story. I like the idea of "The Silent Years" - unpacking the time between Malachi and Matthew. It's something I often forget when thinking about Biblical times.

Can anyone else ashamedly raise their hand and admit they don't know much about the Maccabees? 

Hi. Me too. 


After realizing who the Maccabees were and the context of this book, I was intrigued. The 400 hundred year period of silence between Old and New Testaments? Laws against the Jews? I'm invested.


This book tells part of the story of the courageous Maccabees through the eyes of a two specific characters; Judah Maccabaeus and his wife, Leah. Judah and Leah marry early on in the book, expecting peace and happiness. Instead, after it becomes apparent that they risk death for following the laws of Moses, Judah leads the fight against those who oppose Israel. Readers see this decision shape Judah and Leah's characters and marriage--but, above all, God's hand at work. 


Hunt does a great job of making both Judah and Leah's tones and feelings distinct and unique, and I felt like I had a better understanding of marriage and selflessness after reading this story. They are both really likeable--but they are human beings--and they fall short and misunderstand eachother. The most important facet and healing factor in their relationship is when they choose to follow God. What an inspiration to me, as a reader. God really used this book to help me see. 


Angela Hunt has a name in the Christian fiction realm--and for good reason. It is clear that she has done her research and, while this book is fictional, it's a good learning experience and reminder of historical trials the Jews faced. This book taught me so much about Judaism and the cultural history my faith is based on. I felt inspired and like I had a deeper understanding of the Bible.

Note to readers: there is a bit of war-gore in this book (to be expected, I think). I actually appreciated that this book wasn't fluffy; it's powerful and does a tasteful job of being realistic and faithful to history. 


Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.


Comments

Popular Posts