A Promising Opener for the Bride Ships Series

I've enjoyed so many of Jody Hedlund's novels, so I was eager to get my hands on A Reluctant Bride, the first release in The Bride Ships series.

From the start of the book, we are immersed in Mercy's life--and what a bleak future she faces. She lives in a slum and has so few choices--so she chooses to join the bride ship to have a hope of a future (and hopefully ensure a better one for her sister). Instead of everything going quite as planned, though, she finds herself drawn to a man on deck, Joseph Colville. Problem is, he's the ship's surgeon--not to mention, she's supposed to be with one of the men waiting on shore for a bride from this ship.

I was really intrigued by this series (The Bride Ships) and excited to experience a story from this time in history. For some reason, I'm drawn to stories set at sea, so this was a good read for me. Hedlund paints vivid scenes of the realities of the time (from the ship to Mercy's London slum) and I really enjoyed the different settings of the story and learning more about the character's backstories.

This book is a promising opener for The Bride Ships series and I can't wait to read what's in store next!

Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.

Comments

Popular Posts