A Thought-Provoking Start to the Heart of the Frontier Series

You can count on Tracie Peterson to write accurate, interesting historical fiction. I can't believe how many different characters she has brought to life.

Treasured Grace is a story of Grace Martindale, along with her two sisters, Hope and Mercy, as they settle in the west along with many other pioneers. They arrive at the Whitman mission while waiting to hear from their uncle, who they are hoping can provide a place for them in Oregon City. Grace faces struggle after struggle adjusting to this new life, from racial tension with the local Cayuse people to deathly measles. It doesn't help that she meets an intriguing fur trapper named Alex.

I was expecting a light, fluffy tale with some superficial hardships - that is not how I would describe this book. Treasured Grace doesn't mince issues and there are sensitive and difficult struggles the characters face. I appreciated that the author didn't simplify the dangerous situations many pioneers faced.

I did find the pacing to be a bit slow for me, since I typically read action novels. But this book was still a nice and thought-provoking read that looks to be the start of a great new series. I can't wait to see what is in store for Hope and Mercy in the other Heart of the Frontier books.

Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.

Comments

Popular Posts